Disabling PCI "hot-unplug" for a guest (and/or a single PCI device)

Laine Stump laine at redhat.com
Wed Feb 5 16:29:58 UTC 2020

On 2/4/20 1:43 PM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> [...]
>> not using multiple functions). libvirt would then need to add this option to
>> the XML for each device, and management applications would need to set it -
>> it would essentially look the same to the management application, but it
>> would be implemented differently - instead of libvirt using that flag to
>> make a choice about which slot to assign, it would assign PCI addresses in
>> the same manner as before, and use the libvirt XML flag to set a QEMU
>> commandline flag for the device.
>
> I think this, or something close to it is the desirable way forward
> here, as it gives us more explicit control over what the emulated
> hardware actually advertizes. So instead of trying to workaround
> limitations of QEMU, we'd be working /with/ QEMU to improve its
> feature offerings.
>
> In QEMU pcie-root-port either needs to gain a hotpluggable=yes|no
> attribute, or a second pcie-root-port-nohotplug needs adding.
>
> Withever of these two approaches are taken in QEMU, this can be
> controlled from libvirt via an attribute on the controller.eg
>
>     <controller type='pci' model='pcie-root-port' hotpluggable="no|yes"/>
>
> This hotpluggable attribute can be mapped to whichever CLI syntax
> QEMU wants to support.
>
> This alone is probably sufficient for the Windows problem motivating
> this thread.
>
> There already exists the vfio-pci-nohotplug device, but this is not
> exposed by libvirt. So we can add an attribute to <hostdev> to
> control its use.
>
> The remaining question is whether there's any compelling reason to
> add non-hotpluggable variants of other devices, virtio-net-pci-nohotplug ?
>
> I'd probably /not/ do this, unless there's a clear compelling benefit
> it gives which can't be achieved already via the pcie-root-port
> hotpluggability controls.
>

> For management applications, with Q35 we already recommend that they
> explicitly add *many*
>
>     <controller type='pci' model='pcie-root-port'/>
>
> to new guests. Enough to cover all the initial cold-plugged devices,
> and enough spare ports to enable future hotplug of extra devices.
> OpenStack for example will add 32 pcie-root-ports, so that Q35 has
> approximately the same hotplug capacity as i440fx would have offered.
>
> To control hotplug, management apps simply need tweak what they're
> doing with pcie-root-ports with an extra attribute
>
> eg, consider there were 4 devices on the initially booted VM which
> need hotplug disabled, and we still want freedom to hotplug 2
> extra devices at runtime.
>
>     <controller type='pci' model='pcie-root-port' hotplug="no"/>
>     <controller type='pci' model='pcie-root-port' hotplug="no"/>
>     <controller type='pci' model='pcie-root-port' hotplug="no"/>
>     <controller type='pci' model='pcie-root-port' hotplug="no"/>
>     <controller type='pci' model='pcie-root-port' hotplug="yes"/>
>     <controller type='pci' model='pcie-root-port' hotplug="yes"/>

Not quite so easy as you might think :-). The problem is that, in our
fervor to make Q35 guests "as similar as possible" to 440fx guests, we
have made the PCI address assignment code search out a hotplug-capable
slot for each unassigned device, and if no hotpluggable slot is
available it automatically adds a new root port so that there is a
hotplug-capable slot. With the current set of VIR_PCI_CONNECT_TYPE
flags, unless we lie to that code and tell it that these new root ports
support hotplug, the the devices will be assigned first to the two
available hotpluggable root ports (in your example above), and then when
those are both used, it will start adding new root ports - the ports
with hotplug='no' will never be used.

On the other hand, if we change the code to *not* require a
hotplug-capable port, then the new devices will just be assigned to
slots on the root bus.

So the address assignment code is going to need to be re-jiggered. I
guess we would need to create yet another PCI controller capability for
use by the address assignment code - "Not
Hot-Pluggable-But-Still-Okay-For-Auto-Assign-When-The-Guest-Is-Powered-Off".

So, a mental exercise - let's say we make a new virDomainPCIConnectFlag
called VIR_PCI_CONNECT_AUTO_ASSIGNABLE (that's a bit easier to say than
what I had in the previous paragraph). That connect type would be added
to all the controllers that currently have CONNECT_HOTPLUGGABLE set:

     pci-root
     pci-bridge
     pcie-root
     pcie-pci-bridge
     pcie-root-port
     pcie-downstream-port

We then add a new controller model
VIR_DOMAIN_CONTROLLER_PCIE_ROOT_PORT_NO_HOTPLUG and set it as
AUTO_ASSIGNABLE, but *not* HOTPLUGGABLE.

Now when a device is added to "cold" config, instead of requiring
HOTPLUGGABLE, we require AUTO_ASSIGNABLE, which will get the same
assignment as before the change (except that the NO_HOTPLUG root ports
will also be used). If we actually hotplug a device, then we continue to
require the HOTPLUGGABLE connect flag.

So that much works, but we still have the problem that in order to add a
device to the "cold" config that can later be hotplugged, we have to
make sure all of the hotplug='no' controllers are in use.

I guess that will work, but it's getting pretty obtuse and complicated
just to avoid adding a single flag that says "this device shouldn't be
put in a hotplug-capable slot" directly to the XML for the device that
you don't want hotplugged. It would be *much* simpler if qemu could
provide an attribute for endpoint devices that would disable hotplug for
that device, rather than requiring the option to be set on the
controller that the device is plugged into. Then libvirt could just have
that attribute added to the XML, and the management app would just
simply add "hotplug='no'" to each device. It's too bad that the method
vfio-pci-nohotplug uses apparently doesn't work for PCIe...