[libvirt] [External] Re: discuss about pvpanic

zhenwei pi pizhenwei at bytedance.com
Wed Jan 8 10:33:20 UTC 2020

On 1/8/20 6:05 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 08/01/20 10:58, Michal Privoznik wrote:
>>> the kernel-side patch certainly makes sense.  I assume that you want the
>>> event to propagate up from QEMU to Libvirt and so on?  The QEMU patch
>>> would need to declare a new event (qapi/misc.json) and send it in
>>> handle_event (hw/misc/pvpanic.c).  For Libvirt I'm not familiar, so I'm
>>> adding the respective list.
>> Adding an event is fairly easy, if everything you want libvirt to do is
>> report the event to upper layers. I volunteer to do it. Question is, how
>> qemu is going to report this, whether some attributes to GUEST_PANICKED
>> event or some new event.
> I think it should be a new event, using GUEST_PANICKED could cause upper
> layers to react by shutting down or rebooting the guest.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paolo

In previous patch(https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/12/14/265), I defined a new bit (bit 1)
PVPANIC_CRASH_LOADED for guest crash loaded event. And suggested by KH Greg, I moved
the bit definition to an uapi header file.
Then QEMU could include the header file from linux header and handle the new event.

--
Thanks and Best Regards,
zhenwei pi