device compatibility interface for live migration with assigned devices

Alex Xu soulxu at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 07:23:42 UTC 2020

Alex Williamson <alex.williamson at redhat.com> 于2020年7月15日周三 上午12:16写道:

> On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 11:21:29 +0100
> Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 07:29:57AM +0800, Yan Zhao wrote:
> > > hi folks,
> > > we are defining a device migration compatibility interface that helps
> upper
> > > layer stack like openstack/ovirt/libvirt to check if two devices are
> > > live migration compatible.
> > > The "devices" here could be MDEVs, physical devices, or hybrid of the
> two.
> > > e.g. we could use it to check whether
> > > - a src MDEV can migrate to a target MDEV,
> > > - a src VF in SRIOV can migrate to a target VF in SRIOV,
> > > - a src MDEV can migration to a target VF in SRIOV.
> > >   (e.g. SIOV/SRIOV backward compatibility case)
> > >
> > > The upper layer stack could use this interface as the last step to
> check
> > > if one device is able to migrate to another device before triggering a
> real
> > > live migration procedure.
> > > we are not sure if this interface is of value or help to you. please
> don't
> > > hesitate to drop your valuable comments.
> > >

> > > (1) interface definition
> > > The interface is defined in below way:
> > >
> > >              __    userspace
> > >               /\              \
> > >              /                 \write
> > >             / read              \
> > >    ________/__________       ___\|/_____________
> > >   | migration_version |     | migration_version |-->check migration
> > >   ---------------------     ---------------------   compatibility
> > >      device A                    device B
> > >

> > > a device attribute named migration_version is defined under each
> device's
> > > sysfs node. e.g.
> (/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:00\:02.0/$mdev_UUID/migration_version).
> > > userspace tools read the migration_version as a string from the source
> device,
> > > and write it to the migration_version sysfs attribute in the target
> device.
> > >
> > > The userspace should treat ANY of below conditions as two devices not
> compatible:
> > > - any one of the two devices does not have a migration_version
> attribute
> > > - error when reading from migration_version attribute of one device
> > > - error when writing migration_version string of one device to
> > >   migration_version attribute of the other device
> > >
> > > The string read from migration_version attribute is defined by device
> vendor
> > > driver and is completely opaque to the userspace.
> > > for a Intel vGPU, string format can be defined like
> > > "parent device PCI ID" + "version of gvt driver" + "mdev type" +
> "aggregator count".

> > > for an NVMe VF connecting to a remote storage. it could be
> > > "PCI ID" + "driver version" + "configured remote storage URL"

If the "configured remote storage URL" is something configuration setting
before the usage, then it isn't something we need for migration compatible
check. Openstack only needs to know the target device's driver and hardware
compatible for migration, then the scheduler will choose a host which such
device, and then Openstack will pre-configure the target host and target
device before the migration, then openstack will configure the correct
remote storage URL to the device. If we want, we can do a sanity check
after the live migration with the os.

> [...]
> >
> > >    for Intel vGPU, with a vGPU(a MDEV device) in source side, the tags
> > >    search target vGPU are like:
> > >    a tag for compatible parent PCI IDs,
> > >    a tag for a range of gvt driver versions,
> > >    a tag for a range of mdev type + aggregator count
> > >
> > >    for NVMe VF, the tags to search target VF may be like:
> > >    a tag for compatible PCI IDs,
> > >    a tag for a range of driver versions,
> > >    a tag for URL of configured remote storage.
>
> I interpret this as hand waving, ie. the first step is for management
> tools to make a good guess :-\  We don't seem to be willing to say that
> a given mdev type can only migrate to a device with that same type.
> There's this aggregation discussion happening separately where a base
> mdev type might be created or later configured to be equivalent to a
> different type.  The vfio migration API we've defined is also not
> limited to mdev devices, for example we could create vendor specific
> quirks or hooks to provide migration support for a physical PF/VF
> device.  Within the realm of possibility then is that we could migrate
> between a physical device and an mdev device, which are simply
> different degrees of creating a virtualization layer in front of the
> device.
>
> > Requiring management application developers to figure out this possible
> > compatibility based on prod specs is really unrealistic. Product specs
> > are typically as clear as mud, and with the suggestion we consider
> > different rules for different types of devices, add up to a huge amount
> > of complexity. This isn't something app developers should have to spend
> > their time figuring out.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > The suggestion that we make use of vendor proprietary helper components
> > is totally unacceptable. We need to be able to build a solution that
> > works with exclusively an open source software stack.
>
> I'm surprised to see this as well, but I'm not sure if Yan was really
> suggesting proprietary software so much as just vendor specific
> knowledge.
>
> > IMHO there needs to be a mechanism for the kernel to report via sysfs
> > what versions are supported on a given device. This puts the job of
> > reporting compatible versions directly under the responsibility of the
> > vendor who writes the kernel driver for it. They are the ones with the
> > best knowledge of the hardware they've built and the rules around its
> > compatibility.
>
> The version string discussed previously is the version string that
> represents a given device, possibly including driver information,
> configuration, etc.  I think what you're asking for here is an
> enumeration of every possible version string that a given device could
> accept as an incoming migration stream.  If we consider the string as
> opaque, that means the vendor driver needs to generate a separate
> string for every possible version it could accept, for every possible
> configuration option.  That potentially becomes an excessive amount of

For the configuration options, there are two kinds of configuration options
are needn't for the migration check.

* The configuration option makes the device different, for example(could be
wrong example, not matching any real hardware),  A GPU supports 1024* 768
resolution and 800 * 600 resolution VGPUs, the OpenStack will separate this
two kinds of VGPUs into two separate resource pool. so the scheduler
already ensures we get a host with such vGPU support. so it needn't encode
into the 'version string' discussed here.
* The configuration option is setting before usage, just like the
'configured remote storage URL' above, it needn't encoded into the 'version
string' also. Since the openstack will configure the correct value before
the migration.