[RFC v2 1/1] memory: Delete assertion in memory_region_unregister_iommu_notifier

Jason Wang jasowang at redhat.com
Thu Jul 16 02:54:31 UTC 2020

On 2020/7/16 上午9:00, Peter Xu wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 12:04:16PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:

>>> Both DSI/GI should cover maps too?  E.g. vtd_sync_shadow_page_table() in
>>> vtd_iotlb_domain_invalidate().
>>
>> I meant the code doesn't check whether there's an MAP notifier :)
> It's actually checked, because it loops over vtd_as_with_notifiers, and only
> MAP notifiers register to that. :)

I may miss something but I don't find the code to block UNMAP notifiers?

vhost_iommu_region_add()
     memory_region_register_iommu_notifier()
         memory_region_update_iommu_notify_flags()
             imrc->notify_flag_changed()
                 vtd_iommu_notify_flag_changed()

?

> But I agree with you that it should be cleaner to introduce the dev-iotlb
> notifier type.

Yes, it can solve the issues of duplicated UNMAP issue of vhost.

>>> I could be wrong, but I'd guess it's because vt-d implemented the caching mode
>>> by leveraging the same invalidation strucuture, so it's harder to make all
>>> things right (IOW, we can't clearly identify MAP with UNMAP when we receive an
>>> invalidation request, because MAP/UNMAP requests look the same).
>>>
>>> I didn't check others, but I believe spapr is doing it differently by using
>>> some hypercalls to deliver IOMMU map/unmap requests, which seems a bit close to
>>> what virtio-iommu is doing.  Anyway, the point is if we have explicit MAP/UNMAP
>>> from the guest, logically the replay indeed does not need to do any unmap
>>> because we don't need to call replay() on an already existing device but only
>>> for e.g. hot plug.
>>
>> But this looks conflict with what memory_region_iommu_replay( ) did, for
>> IOMMU that doesn't have a replay method, it skips UNMAP request:
>>
>>      for (addr = 0; addr < memory_region_size(mr); addr += granularity) {
>>          iotlb = imrc->translate(iommu_mr, addr, IOMMU_NONE, n->iommu_idx);
>>          if (iotlb.perm != IOMMU_NONE) {
>>              n->notify(n, &iotlb);
>>          }
>>
>> I guess there's no knowledge of whether guest have an explicit MAP/UMAP for
>> this generic code. Or replay implies that guest doesn't have explicit
>> MAP/UNMAP?
> I think it matches exactly with a hot plug case?  Note that when IOMMU_NONE
> could also mean the translation does not exist.  So it's actually trying to map
> everything that can be translated and then notify().

Yes, so the question is what's the assumption before calling
memory_region_iommu_replay(). If it assumes an empty mapping, there's
probably no need for unamp.

>> (btw, the code shortcut the memory_region_notify_one(), not sure the reason)
> I think it's simply because memory_region_notify_one() came later. :)

Ok, that explains.

>>>    VT-d does not have that clear interface, so VT-d needs to
>>> maintain its own mapping structures, and also vt-d is using the same replay &
>>> page_walk operations to sync all these structures, which complicated the vt-d
>>> replay a bit.  With that, we assume replay() can be called anytime on a device,
>>> and we won't notify duplicated MAPs to lower layer like vfio if it is mapped
>>> before.  At the meantime, since we'll compare the latest mapping with the one
>>> we cached in the iova tree, UNMAP becomes possible too.
>>
>> AFAIK vtd_iommu_replay() did a completely UNMAP:
>>
>>      /*
>>       * The replay can be triggered by either a invalidation or a newly
>>       * created entry. No matter what, we release existing mappings
>>       * (it means flushing caches for UNMAP-only registers).
>>       */
>>      vtd_address_space_unmap(vtd_as, n);
>>
>> Since it doesn't do any comparison with iova tree. Will this cause
>> unnecessary UNMAP to be sent to VFIO?
> I feel like that can be removed now, but needs some testings...

Probably, but need to answer the above question about replay first.

Thanks