Greetings from cirrus-run author

Pavel Hrdina phrdina at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 13:59:17 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 03:04:37PM +0200, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> On Thu, 2020-07-30 at 13:58 +0300, Vitaly Potyarkin wrote:
> > Hello, my name is Vitaly - I'm the author of cirrus-run.
> >
> > I was amazed to see that a project of such importance and scale uses the
> > tool I created! Thank you very much! I never expected it to receive much
> > recognition outside of a few random hobbyists, after all I wrote it just
> > to cheap out on CI runs for a personal project.
>
> Hi Vitaly!
>
> I was meaning to get in touch with you to thank you for creating
> cirrus-run and tell you how useful this clever little tool of yours
> has proven to be, but it looks like you beat me to the punch :)
>
> We've adopted it a couple of months ago, and we've been extremely
> pleased with it so far. We're planning to roll out its use to more
> repositories over time, but we just haven't gotten around to it quite
> yet.
>
> > I noticed that you expressed a wish to have full CI log fetched and
> > displayed on stdout. I agree that it would be a nice feature to have,
> > and I've planned to make it like that from the beginning, but the
> > GraphQL query for that was not straightforward at all and I've settled
> > for what we have now. I added an issue [1] in cirrus-run repo and will try
> > to return to that sometime.
>
> Thanks, I'll subscribe to the issue.
>
> Since I have your attention, I'll also report the only issue we've
> encountered so far that might be a genuine bug in cirrus-run. If you
> look at this recent pipeline
>
>   https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/pipelines/170028119
>
> you'll see that the x86-freebsd-12-build job has failed; however if
> you look at the corresponding Cirrus CI job
>
>   https://cirrus-ci.com/build/6133607741784064
>
> you'll notice that it has completed successfully. We've seen this
> happen about once a week on average. It's as if cirrus-run somehow
> lost track of the status of the Cirrus CI job...
>
> Unfortunately I haven't had time to dig further, but if there's any
> information that I could provide to help you figure out what's going
> on please just ask.

I'm not sure if there is anything that cirrus-run can do about it.
Depends on the cirrus-ci API. In the case that you've mentioned the
issue is that the job was rescheduled on cirrus-ci. This is most likely
the original job that was terminated:

    https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5722023156514816

and the job that caused cirrus-run to report failed job.

Pavel