device compatibility interface for live migration with assigned devices

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Tue Jul 14 20:59:48 UTC 2020

On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 18:19:46 +0100
"Dr. David Alan Gilbert" <dgilbert at redhat.com> wrote:

> * Alex Williamson (alex.williamson at redhat.com) wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 11:21:29 +0100
> > Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

> > It's very strange to define it as opaque and then proceed to describe
> > the contents of that opaque string.  The point is that its contents
> > are defined by the vendor driver to describe the device, driver version,
> > and possibly metadata about the configuration of the device.  One
> > instance of a device might generate a different string from another.
> > The string that a device produces is not necessarily the only string
> > the vendor driver will accept, for example the driver might support
> > backwards compatible migrations.
>
> (As I've said in the previous discussion, off one of the patch series)
>
> My view is it makes sense to have a half-way house on the opaqueness of
> this string; I'd expect to have an ID and version that are human
> readable, maybe a device ID/name that's human interpretable and then a
> bunch of other cruft that maybe device/vendor/version specific.
>
> I'm thinking that we want to be able to report problems and include the
> string and the user to be able to easily identify the device that was
> complaining and notice a difference in versions, and perhaps also use
> it in compatibility patterns to find compatible hosts; but that does
> get tricky when it's a 'ask the device if it's compatible'.

In the reply I just sent to Dan, I gave this example of what a
"compatibility string" might look like represented as json:

{
  "device_api": "vfio-pci",
  "vendor": "vendor-driver-name",
  "version": {
    "major": 0,
    "minor": 1
  },
  "vfio-pci": { // Based on above device_api
    "vendor": 0x1234, // Values for the exposed device
    "device": 0x5678,
      // Possibly further parameters for a more specific match
  },
  "mdev_attrs": [
    { "attribute0": "VALUE" }
  ]
}

Are you thinking that we might allow the vendor to include a vendor
specific array where we'd simply require that both sides have matching
fields and values?  ie.

  "vendor_fields": [
    { "unknown_field0": "unknown_value0" },
    { "unknown_field1": "unknown_value1" },
  ]

We could certainly make that part of the spec, but I can't really
figure the value of it other than to severely restrict compatibility,
which the vendor could already do via the version.major value.  Maybe
they'd want to put a build timestamp, random uuid, or source sha1 into
such a field to make absolutely certain compatibility is only determined
between identical builds?  Thanks,

Alex