device compatibility interface for live migration with assigned devices

Dr. David Alan Gilbert dgilbert at redhat.com
Wed Jul 29 19:05:41 UTC 2020

* Alex Williamson (alex.williamson at redhat.com) wrote:

> > > but as I know, currently in VFIO migration protocol, we have no way to
> > > get vendor specific compatibility checking string in migration setup stage
> > > (i.e. .save_setup stage) before the device is set to _SAVING state.
> > > In this way, for devices who does not save device data in precopy stage,
> > > the migration compatibility checking is as late as in stop-and-copy
> > > stage, which is too late.
> > > do you think we need to add the getting/checking of vendor specific
> > > compatibility string early in save_setup stage?
> > >
> > hi Alex,
> > after an offline discussion with Kevin, I realized that it may not be a
> > problem if migration compatibility check in vendor driver occurs late in
> > stop-and-copy phase for some devices, because if we report device
> > compatibility attributes clearly in an interface, the chances for
> > libvirt/openstack to make a wrong decision is little.
>
> I think it would be wise for a vendor driver to implement a pre-copy
> phase, even if only to send version information and verify it at the
> target.  Deciding you have no device state to send during pre-copy does
> not mean your vendor driver needs to opt-out of the pre-copy phase
> entirely.  Please also note that pre-copy is at the user's discretion,
> we've defined that we can enter stop-and-copy at any point, including
> without a pre-copy phase, so I would recommend that vendor drivers
> validate compatibility at the start of both the pre-copy and the
> stop-and-copy phases.

That's quite curious; from a migration point of view I'd expect if you
did want to skip pre-copy, that you'd go through the motions of entering
it and then not saving any data and then going to stop-and-copy,
rather than having two flows.

Note that failing at a late stage of stop-and-copy is a pain; if you've
just spent an hour migrating your huge busy VM over, you're going to be
pretty annoyed when it goes pop near the end.

Dave

--
Dr. David Alan Gilbert / dgilbert at redhat.com / Manchester, UK