Multiple video elements lead to erratic mouse behavior through spice

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jun 10 13:42:42 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 01:58:13PM +0200, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> Hi,
> with a guest set up as in the following example mouse behavior breaks:
>
>     <graphics type='spice' port='5901' autoport='no' listen='0.0.0.0'>
>      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
>      <gl enable='no'/>
>    </graphics>
>    <video>
>      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='16384' vgamem='16384' heads='1'
> primary='yes'/>
>      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01'
> function='0x0'/>
>    </video>
>    <video>
>      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='16384' vgamem='16384' heads='1'/>
>      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x08' slot='0x01'
> function='0x0'/>
>    </video>
>
> Please note that this is for illustration purposes as this everyone can
> easily retry.
> I originally had QXL + GPU as mediated device, where the behavior is the
> same.
>
> If I know connect to that via spice, spice is smart and opens both displays:
>   $ virt-viewer --connect qemu+ssh://ubuntu@10.246.115.255/system guestname
>
> But while with one display mouse integration (to move in/out smoothly) and
> positioning of the mouse pointer is fine.
> It is broken with this double display setup.
> What I see is:
> - no mouse integration anymore (falls back to capture the mouse)
> - often the mouse can not move upwards anymore
> - sometimes "left" also doesn't work
>
> Let me know if someone wants  a video in case the description is still too
> odd.
>
> I have tried spice-client-gtk and virt-viewer, but both behave the same way.
>
> If I take away one of the displays it works well again.
> So I'm wondering how virtual-multi-monitor is supposed to work, are there
> known bugs or tweaks that would apply here?

Did you enable the SPICE agent ?  IIUC, the SPICE agent provides a
paravirtualized mouse device, and that may be what's required to have
this work properly with multi-monitor.  The agent is also what lets
you dynamically turn on/off each head and do display resizing.

BTW, there are two ways todo multi-monitor with SPICE. One as youve
shown here, and the oither using a single QXL card, but with heads=NNN
instead of heads=1.  One approach works best with Windows, and one
approach works best with Linux, but I can't remember which way around.

I expect they'll probably still have the same mouse behaviour though.

> P.S. I tried VNC but that just has "other" issues. It only shows 1 of 2
> displays and on the one I see over amplifies the mouse movement by the
> amount the other display adds to ther overall desktop size.

VNC simply doesn't support multi-monitor at all. In theory we could
block this in libvirt, but then if QEMU fixed it, libvirt would be
needlessly blocking it.