ovmf / PCI passthrough impaired due to very limiting PCI64 aperture

Eduardo Habkost ehabkost at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 16:18:27 UTC 2020

+libvir-list

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 05:04:12PM +0100, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Eduardo Habkost (ehabkost at redhat.com) wrote:

> > > The firmware should trust whatever it reads from the cpuid and thus gets
> > > told from qemu; if qemu is doing the wrong thing there then that's our
> > > problem and we need to fix it in qemu.
> >
> > It is impossible to provide a MAXPHYADDR that the guest can trust
> > unconditionally and allow live migration to hosts with different
> > sizes at the same time.
>
> It would be nice to get to a point where we could say that the reported
> size is no bigger than the physical hardware.
> The gotcha here is that (upstream) qemu is still reporting 40 by default
> when even modern Intel desktop chips are 39.

I agree it would be nice.  We just need a method to tell guest
software that we are really making this additional guarantee.

> > Unless we want to drop support live migration to hosts with
> > different sizes entirely, we need additional bits to tell the
> > guest how much it can trust MAXPHYADDR.
>
> Could we go with host-phys-bits=true by default, that at least means the
> normal behaviour is correct; if people want to migrate between different
> hosts with different sizes they should set phys-bits (or
> host-phys-limit) to the lowest in their set of hardware.

Host-dependent defaults may be convenient for end users running
QEMU directly, but not a good idea if a stable guest ABI is
expected from your VM configuration (which is the case for
software using the libvirt API).

--
Eduardo