Moving project infrastructure / services to GitLab

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Fri Mar 6 18:23:53 UTC 2020

On Mon, Mar 02, 2020 at 05:09:28PM +0100, Erik Skultety wrote:
> Apart from the WebUI-based review process which is rather painful (but I guess
> anything is better than gerrit for that matter) and non-existent threading
> within discussion topics, I agree to all the points, as having a nice SaaS
> platform alleviating us from much of the maintenance burden is the way to go.

Writing this mail made me understand more clearly why Gerrit has not seen
the adoption of GitLab/Hub. The initial issue was that Gerrit requires
hosting somewhere historically, though openstack opened their infra up to
3rd party projects recently-ish. More generally though, Gerrit suffers
because it only tackles one small part of a project's infra needs, so it
misses benefits of integration of services seen with GitLab/Hub.