Virtualbox Support for 6.x ?

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Mon Mar 23 14:14:55 UTC 2020

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 02:46:46PM +0100, CDT CDT wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> TL;DR: Is there any libvirt update regarding VBox 6.x planned until July
> 2020?
>

> I tried using libvirt 4.x / virsh with Virtualbox 6.1.4, which seem to not
> work. The output of virsh -V tells me that hypervisor should be able for
> that:
>
> Compiled with support for:
>
> Hypervisors: … VirtualBox …
>
> If I try to connect to a vbox session I get following error:
>
> error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
>
> error: internal error: unable to initialize VirtualBox driver API
>
> I already saw from different threads messages like this:
>
> libvirt version: 5.10.0
> Libvirt doesn't support VirtualBox API version 6001000
>
> regarding the libvirt changelog, only Virtualbox 5.2 is officially
> supported. Unfortunately, the support/maintenance for Virtualbox 5.2. ends
> in July 2020. Is there any libvirt update regarding VBox 6.x planned until
> July 2020?

Unfortunately the people who have previously updated the virtualbox driver
for libvirt do not appear to be interested in maintaining it any more.

We thus need someone who is interested in virtualbox to step forward and
volunteer to do work on it in libvirt. Because of the way virtualbox works,
it needs new COM API definitions importing into libvirt for each release,
and sometimes code changes in libvirt to adapt to changesin vbox APIs.

I don't know how much work it would be to update libvirt from vbox 5.2
to newer 6.x versions. It needs someone able todo a little investigation

> And is following combination in general possible: Libvirt + VBox + Windows
> Guest/VM ?

I would expect that to be working in general.