GSoC'20 Interested Student: Adding support to Jailhouse Hypervisor

PRAKHAR BANSAL prakharbansal0910 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 08:02:19 UTC 2020

Hi Jan,

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 4:12 AM Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka at web.de> wrote:

> On 28.03.20 08:47, PRAKHAR BANSAL wrote:
> > Hi Jan,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply!
> >
> > I was only considering the command-line tool "code" for reference to the
> > Jailhouse kernel API(ioctl calls) because I didn't find a documentation
> > of the Jailhouse kernel APIs.
>
> Right, the IOCTL API is not documented so far. It is currently only used
> inside the Jailhouse project. This needs to be formalized when there
> shall be external users like a libvirt driver.
>
> That might be a nice small contribution task: Create some
> Documentation/driver-interfaces.md that describes the IOCTLs along with
> their parameter structures and that also includes the current
> sysfs-entries.txt as a section. Then send this as patch here. I'll help
> out when details are not clear from reading the code.
>
>   Sure. I will do that.

> > For the second part as you mentioned that Jailhouse can only create
> > cells with the constraints defined in the root cell configuration. I
> > have a few questions regarding that.
> >
> > 1. Is there a way to know if Jailhouse is enabled on the host and get
> > the root cell configuration(s) from Jailhouse through an API? This can
> > be used while binding the libvirt to the Jailhouse hypervisor.
>
> Look at
>
> https://github.com/siemens/jailhouse/blob/master/Documentation/sysfs-entries.txt
> for what is reported as runtime information. Full configurations can't
> be read back at this point. This might be reconsidered in the light of
> [1], but I wouldn't plat for that yet.

  Ok, sure. I am looking into it.

> > 2. If Jailhouse is not enabled(again can we know this using some API)
> > then, can libvirt enable/disable Jailhouse during the libvirt binding of
> > the Jailhouse driver with a given set of Jailhouse cell configurations
> > describing a complete partitioned system?
>
> With the API above and a given configuration set, yes. The config set
> would have to be provided to the libvirt driver in some to-be-defined
> way (e.g. /etc/libvirt/jailhouse.conf -> /etc/libvirt/jailhouse/*.cell).
>
>  Cool, got it. Thanks!

> > 3. I was wondering, as you mentioned that libvirt driver should check
> > for mismatch of the cell configuration with the root cell configuration,
> > the question is, isn't that done by Jailhouse itself? If yes, then
> > libvirt can just pass on the cell creation requests to Jailhouse and
> > return the response to the user as it is, rather than driver doing any
> > such mismatch check.
>
> With matching I'm referring to a libvirt user request like "create a
> domain with 2 CPUs", while there are no cells left that have more than
> one CPU. Or "give the domain 1G RAM", and you need to find an available
> cell with that much memory. Those are simple examples. A request that
> states "connect the domain to the host network A" implies that a cell
> has a shared-memory link to, say, the root cell that can be configured
> to bridge this. But let's keep that for later and start as simple as
> possible.

  Do I need to match the libvirt user-requested cell config with only root
cells or with all cells present at that time?

I wanted to request you for a favor for the proposal as the deadline is
approaching. Could I prepare a proposal for this project based on our
discussion here and improve it later based on feedback comments after the
deadline? I understand that I got late in starting on the project search
and selection.

Thanks,
Prakhar