Issues 14 and 90 Contribution Details

Dustan B Helm dustan.helm at utexas.edu
Sun Nov 15 17:36:40 UTC 2020

Hey Libvirt team. We are looking into issue 14
<https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/issues/14> and issue 90
<https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/issues/90> to make possible
contributions to one or both of them. However, before we start preparing
patches for either of these issues, we have some clarifying questions about
the scope of the necessary changes.

Issue 14: Mostly we wanted to know what was wrong with Guannan's previous
attempt at patching this. Was it incorrect, incomplete, or otherwise
lacking? We also were confused on how Peter's usb-audio commit actually
addressed an issue. It seems like most of the changes were documentation
and constant and only a few changes changed significant amounts of code. We
understand that QEMU is the program actually handling the sound card, but
how do Peter's changes actually hook up the sound card with QEMU? Would the
changes needed for the usb-net device be the same as Peter's usb-audio
changes except in different sections of each file, or would the changes
need to be made elsewhere? We saw that Peter and Guannan both had changes
to tests/qemuhelptest.c and src/qemu/qemu_capabilities.c (to name a few).

Issue 90:In order to implement a new network disk protocol, we believe
there should be changes to the parameters in virsh/attach-disk, but we also
know that there will likely be changes elsewhere in the codebase to allow
support for a new protocol type. Ex: diskSourceNetworkProtocol definitions
in docs/schemas/domaincommon.rng. Is there documentation available on what
files/sections of the codebase handle supporting network disk protocols, so
we can find more reference examples and begin to make changes in the
appropriate locations?

Thanks in advance,
Dustan Helm, Ryan Gahagan, Barrett Schonefeld