Libvirt NVME support

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Thu Nov 19 07:08:49 UTC 2020

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 20:31:03 +0100, Michal Privoznik wrote:
> On 11/18/20 11:24 AM, Peter Krempa wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 09:57:14 +0000, Thanos Makatos wrote:

[...]

> Would it make sense to relax the current limitation in libvirt and allow
> <disk type='nvme'/> (which is meant for cases where the backend is a NVMe
> disk) to be on something else than 'virtio' bus?

This is really orthogonal to the emulated NVMe controller.

A <disk type='nvme'> can theoretically back any disk frontend. I don't
remember now why we actually mandate it only for virtio. Do you?

Apart from that, it doesn't make that much sense to use <disk
type='nvme' for an emulated NVMe drive again. You are way better of
using direct PCI asignment.