regression in meson build, AC_PATH_PROG lost

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 13:51:27 UTC 2020

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 6:25 AM Andrea Bolognani <abologna at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2020-11-19 at 16:56 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 8:14 AM Andrea Bolognani <abologna at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > As another data point, Debian currently carries a patch[1] which
> > > allows us to enable the ZFS driver without installing the ZFS
> > > packages in the build environment: this is necessary because, due to
> > > its license, ZFS is kept outside of the main Debian repository.
> > >
> > > Being able to use something like
> > >
> > >   -Dprog_zfs=/sbin/zfs -Dprog_zfspool=/sbin/zfspool
> > >
> > > to achieve the same result would allow us to drop that patch, which I
> > > would be *extremely* happy about :)
> >
> > The way I solved *that* specific problem was to use zfs-fuse at
> > build-time and have runtime work with either implementation. That
> > should work for you too, since Debian has zfs-fuse in main.
>
> This sounds intriguing. Can you please point me to the code?

I build libvirt for Debian/Ubuntu using a modified version of the
upstream spec file (if y'all are interested, I can upstream those
modifications so we could build and test that way in CI too), but
here's what I did:

* https://pagure.io/libvirt-deb/blob/90d9373670564341503f768880e996f01da596a6/f/libvirt.spec#_42-47
* https://pagure.io/libvirt-deb/blob/90d9373670564341503f768880e996f01da596a6/f/libvirt.spec#_365-369
* https://pagure.io/libvirt-deb/blob/90d9373670564341503f768880e996f01da596a6/f/libvirt.spec#_967-974

For work, we *only* want to use ZoL at runtime, but this can be done
where zfs-fuse could be a valid candidate too.

It's not terribly difficult to translate this into debian/control goop. :)