regression in meson build, AC_PATH_PROG lost

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Fri Nov 20 15:38:20 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-11-20 at 14:36 +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 03:31:39PM +0100, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> > Lastly, if we stopped looking for commands at build time we would be
> > enabling features that can, in reality, never work: iscsiadm, for
> > example, is Linux-only, but if we removed the corresponding build
> > time check we would start building the iscsi storage driver, which
> > requires the command to be present, on FreeBSD and macOS too. This
> > would be incredibly misleading and, well, just plain wrong IMHO.
>
> If you remove the iscsiadm check, it has to be replaced with
> an os == linux check in meson instead.

If you did that, then you wouldn't have simplified meson.build much
while at the same time you'd have ended up with a far less nuanced
check that does not catch scenarios ranging from the command simply
not being installed on the build machine to the package not being
available, perhaps temporarily, for the specific Linux architecture
in use. Doesn't really sound like an improvement to me.