Issue 90 Further Clarifications

Dustan B Helm dustan.helm at utexas.edu
Sat Nov 21 17:20:57 UTC 2020

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 3:22 PM Laine Stump <laine at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 11/20/20 1:07 PM, Dustan B Helm wrote:
>
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 5:33 AM Peter Krempa <pkrempa at redhat.com> wrote:

>> choices,
>> out of

>> modify
>> for VXHS,
>> >
>> > These comments are just a hint/reminder to readers about what QEMU
>> command
>> > line option(s), the capability check is tracking the availability of.
>> That
>> > particular example might be a bit misleading, since in the
>> qemu_capabilities.c
>> > file, we're actually looking for the blockdev-arg/arg-type/+vxhs
>> feature,
>> > not -drive.  QEMU has 2 ways of configuring disks, -drive is the
>> historical
>> > main way, and -blockdev is the modern way that libvirt introduced
>> support
>> > for relatively recently. We actually end up having to support both
>> approachs
>> > in libvirt currrently, as we try to make libvirt work with both old and
>> new
>> > QEMU versions.
>>
>> For new features though I strongly prefer if we no longer update the old
>> code. Implement the new protocol only for -blockdev.
>>
>> > Peter can probably offer better suggestions than me about what specific
>> > thing to probe for 'nfs'.
>>
>> The simplest way to probe for nfs protocol support is to use the
>> following query string in virQEMUCapsQMPSchemaQueries[]:
>>
>> "blockdev-add/arg-type/+nfs"
>>
>> Looking at the @BlockdevOptionsNfs struct in
>> qemu.git/qapi/block-core.json it seems that all properties were
>> introduced at same time, so the check doesn't need to be more specific.
>>
>> I can provide more insight on how virQEMUCapsQMPSchemaQueries[] works if
>> you are interested, but the above will work.

>> to by
>> >
>> > The domaincommon.rng file provides the RelaxNG schema, which is used for
>> > (optionally) validating XML files before parsing.
>> >
>> > The actual parser lives in src/conf/domain_conf.{c,h} files.
>> >
>> > There are also docs for users about the schema in docs/formatdomain.rst
>> >

>> Adding the NFS protocol itself is rather trivial because we use enum
>> to string convertors which cause a compilation failure if you don't
>> populate the strings, so adding the protocol type will be enough to
>> figure out where.
>>
>> If you want to implement other properties of the nfs protocol driver
>> such as @user or @group. I suggest you first send a RFC mail with your
>> proposed XML addition for review before diving into the rng schema and
>> XML/formatter parser.
>>
>> Looking at the options in @BlockdevOptionsNfs @user and @group seem a
>> bit interesting. I'd not worry with the rest probably.

>> present in
>> listed in the
>> we take
>> >
>> > I'll leave thi question to Peter too.

> [...]
We plan to support NFS protocol according to the example XML from Issue 90
<http://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/issues/90>. Since there is already
support for network disks of different protocol types and host information,
we think that the only new XML information we will add is an <nfs> element
which will be a subelement of <source>, with attributes “user” and “group”
(both strings). This element will only be generated if the source protocol
is “nfs” and we assume that both “user” and “group” will be required.

Here is the XML example given in the issue for reference:

<disk type='network' device='disk'>

  <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>

  <source protocol='nfs' name='PATH'>

    <host name='example.com' port='2049'/

    <nfs user='USER' group='GROUP'/>

  </source>

  <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/>

</disk>

What do you think of these proposed changes? Should either of the <nfs>
tag's string attributes be optional?