Issue 90 Further Clarifications

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Mon Nov 23 08:33:25 UTC 2020

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 11:20:57 -0600, Dustan B Helm wrote:
> We plan to support NFS protocol according to the example XML from Issue 90
> <http://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/issues/90>. Since there is already
> support for network disks of different protocol types and host information,
> we think that the only new XML information we will add is an <nfs> element
> which will be a subelement of <source>, with attributes “user” and “group”
> (both strings). This element will only be generated if the source protocol
> is “nfs” and we assume that both “user” and “group” will be required.
>
> Here is the XML example given in the issue for reference:
>
> <disk type='network' device='disk'>
>
>   <driver name='qemu' type='raw'/>
>
>   <source protocol='nfs' name='PATH'>
>
>     <host name='example.com' port='2049'/
>
>     <nfs user='USER' group='GROUP'/>
>
>   </source>
>
>   <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/>
>
> </disk>

Sounds reasonable to me. We tend to name elements equivalent to <nfs>
other protocols) but in this case I don't have a better suggestion so
going with <nfs> is reasonable.

Since you are proposing 'user' and 'group' to be strings while qemu
accepts only numeric UID/GID, please use the same conversion code we
have for the <inituser> and <initgroup> values in regards to forcing
numeric value to skip being interpreded:

https://www.libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#container-boot

> What do you think of these proposed changes? Should either of the <nfs>
> tag's string attributes be optional?

In this case qemu doesn't mandate the use of the user/group field so you
can make the nfs element and both user and group optional especially
since it's only a workaround for the broken-by design NFS "security".

You can claim that a hypervisor-default uid/gid is used when the fields
are not present.

You also probably want to mention in the documentation that in most
cases qemu is running as non-root and thus doesn't have access to
privileged ports. Thus the export has to use the 'insecure' option to
allow non-privileged ports.

One further thing possibly worth mentioning is that the name=''
attribute starts with the NFS export name.