Adding an nftables backend in addition to iptables?

Aljoscha Lautenbach aljoscha.lautenbach at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 15:39:26 UTC 2020

Hi!

First of all, thanks for your work on libvirt, it is highly appreciated!

When I wanted to create a new VM using virt-manager on my Debian
Testing machine yesterday, I ran into the following problem:

~# virsh net-list --all
 Name      State      Autostart   Persistent
 default   inactive   yes         yes

~# virsh net-start default
error: Failed to start network default
error: internal error: Failed to apply firewall rules
/usr/sbin/iptables --table filter --list-rules: iptables v1.8.6
(nf_tables): table `filter' is incompatible, use 'nft' tool.

It turns out the Debian package for iptables includes two versions of
iptables: iptables-nft and iptables-legacy. It looks like iptables-nft
has been the default in Debian for a while, which led to the error
above.

After setting iptables-legacy to be the default and restarting the
libvirtd service, everything worked as expected.

But it did make me wonder, are there any plans to add a backend for nftables?

Thanks,
Aljoscha