Help on Meson build Error

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Fri Sep 25 10:15:31 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-09-25 at 10:26 +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 11:23:57AM +0200, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> > On Fri, 2020-09-25 at 10:16 +0100, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > > There is a completely different rst2html5 that people might get
> > > from "pip" if you did "pip install rst2html5". This version is
> > > broken and unusable and so needs to be removed.
> >
> > Can we do something to get that package off PyPi? It's not the first
> > time the overlap has caused trouble for our users, and it certainly
> > won't be the last...
>
> Well it is not really our place to demand its removal. It isn't violating
> any rules of PyPi and AFAICT, it existed before docutils provided the
> same binary name.

I never said we should "demand" anything, but the current situation
is clearly confusing to users. While it might have made sense to have
rst2html5 as a separate package back when docutils didn't support
HTML5 output directly, now a very unfortunate name clash has been
created and I think we should make at least an attempt at solving it
instead of working around it.

> The only good course of action is probably to submit a patch to actually
> make it work.

I would consider that undesirable, as the two tools are then bound to
get out of sync again further down the line. Making it a wrapper for
docutils' rst2html5 might work.