Entering freeze for libvirt-6.8.0

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Fri Sep 25 16:49:42 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-09-25 at 05:09 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 4:35 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 03:39:03PM -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > > I like that Source RPMs are produced, because I can trivially use them
> > > in my import->build->test pipeline, since my build system accepts
> > > SRPMs as input and not random tarballs. :)
> >
> > If you have the tarball you can trivially generate the source RPM if
> > you need it because the tarball still contains the .spec file. IOW
> > just run
> >
> >   $ rpmbuild -ts libvirt-6.7.0.tar.xz
> >   Wrote: /home/berrange/rpmbuild/SRPMS/libvirt-6.7.0-1.fc32.src.rpm
>
> That assumes I have the ability to add such a mechanism that can do
> that automatically. :)

A testing pipeline that can only work with SRPMs seems quite
limiting, and will not be able to deal with many subprojects such as
for example Go and Rust language bindings... We actually only produce
SRPMs for the main C library IIRC.

Anyway, while I personally think that we should not be generating
SRPMs, I can't deny they seem to offer some value to you, and so I
will begrudgingly retire my motion to stop publishing them :)