Entering freeze for libvirt-6.8.0

Mark Mielke mark.mielke at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 18:30:32 UTC 2020

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 4:35 AM Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com>
wrote:

> If you have the tarball you can trivially generate the source RPM if
> you need it because the tarball still contains the .spec file. IOW
> just run
>
>   $ rpmbuild -ts libvirt-6.7.0.tar.xz
>   Wrote: /home/berrange/rpmbuild/SRPMS/libvirt-6.7.0-1.fc32.src.rpm

I've never tried this before... what does it do if the .spec file is
non-trivial and includes things expanded by autoconf, or if there are
multiple different .spec files?

Personally, I have found the libvirt provided spec file limiting - and use
a distro one like Fedora as a starting point instead. And, I meant to try
and figure out why this was and provide feedback about it. But, for other
projects such as openvswitch - I find that the one they build and maintain
upstream, to be very useful. In this case, you do run autoconf and
configure, and "make rpm-fedora" generates both RPM and SRPM. From that
respect, the need to distribute a .src.rpm separately is not as important,
but the ability to build an SRPM using an easy mechanism is the real
requirement and I'm mostly wondering if "rpmbuild -ts" is sophisticated
enough to support many real-world use cases, or if it is only useful for
the most trivial and eventually limiting use cases.

--
Mark Mielke <mark.mielke at gmail.com>