RFE - Add support for QEMU's 9pfs's fmode/dmode options

Ján Tomko jtomko at redhat.com
Wed Sep 30 14:58:15 UTC 2020

On a Tuesday in 2020, Brian Turek wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I recently ran into problems with the default very restrictive permissions
>for files that are created via 9pfs host/guest shares (600 for files, 700
>for directories).  QEMU added two new-ish flags, fmode and dmode, to its
>9pfs implementation so that users are able to control these exact
>permissions.
>
>Would it be possible to expose these two flags via the domain XML?

Yes.

If you're looking to implement this yourself, search for 'multidevs' in git log
to see a recent example of adding a flag to the 'filesystem' device
(note that after providing the input for the test case, you can generate
the output by running:
   VIR_TEST_REGENERATE_OUTPUT=1 tests/qemu${whatever}test
(not sure that's documented)).

Otherwise, simply wait until someone who needs it or someone who does it
based on your gitlab issue implements it.

>I made
>an issue on the libvirt Gitlab (
>https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/issues/80) but it appears mailing list
>posts may be preferred.

Gitlab issues are the preferred way to report feature requests and bugs.

Jano