On a Thursday in 2020, Michal Privoznik wrote:
In 6.7.0 release I've changed how domain namespace is built and populated. Previously it used to be done from a pre-exec hook (ran in the forked off child, just before dropping all privileges and exec()-ing QEMU), which not only meant we had to have two different code paths for creating a node in domain's namespace (one for this pre-exec hook, the other for hotplug ran from the daemon), it also proved problematic because it was leaking FDs into QEMU process. To mitigate this problem, we've not only ditched libdevmapper from the NS population process, I've also dropped the pre-exec code and let the NS be populated from the daemon (using the hotplug code). But, I was not careful when doing so, because the pre-exec code was tolerant to files that doesn't exist, while this new code isn't. For instance, the very first thing that is done when the new NS is created is it's populated with @defaultDeviceACL which contain files like /dev/null, /dev/zero, /dev/random and /dev/kvm (and others). While the rest will probably exist every time, /dev/kvm might not and thus the new code I wrote has to be tolerant to that.
Please put a newline somewhere in this huge block of text.
Of course, users can override the @defaultDeviceACL (by setting cgroup_device_acl in qemu.conf) and remove /dev/kvm (which is acceptable workaround), but we definitely want libvirt to work out of the box even on hosts without KVM. Fixes: 9048dc4e627ddf33996084167bece7b5fb83b0bc Reported-by: Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange redhat com> Signed-off-by: Michal Privoznik <mprivozn redhat com> --- src/qemu/qemu_namespace.c | 12 +++++++++++- 1 file changed, 11 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
Reviewed-by: Ján Tomko <jtomko redhat com> Jano
Description: PGP signature