Various issues when using multiple graphic outputs

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Fri Sep 4 10:46:38 UTC 2020

On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 12:37:06PM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 12:05:08PM +0200, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I've had continuous issues with this and wanted to reach out
> > if that is a common issue everyone has or just me lacking a little
> > detail on my setup.
>
> > - QXL with multiple heads
> >   - works fine (so multi display in general seems fine for the
> >     involved components)
>
> Yep.
>
> > - VGA + QXL, QXL + Virtio, Virtio + QXL:
> >   - Guest only detects primary display
> >   - Can't convince X in the guest to use the second device as well
> >   - lspci lists both devices just fine
> >   - dmesg shows the kernel is initializing them, e.g. drm for virtio
>
> As far I know xorg can't really deal with multiple display devices.
> So typically you have a single device with multiple connectors, so
> you can hook up multiple monitors.

IIRC, it Xorg can support multiple devices, but it is not zero-conf,
it needs a custom config file to be written, and has some functional
limitations compared to a multi-head layout. It has been at least 10+
years since I did something like this though :-)

> In the virtual world qxl and virtio support multiple heads, so pick
> one of these two and enable as many heads as you need.  Also make sure
> spice-agent is active in the guest, otherwise operating the mouse is a
> PITA.

This is definitely the better approach to get zero-conf though.