large number of hot plug disks

Alexander Wels awels at redhat.com
Tue Sep 8 12:19:21 UTC 2020

Hi,

I am working on a project, and one of the requirements is that I can
hotplug a large number of disks. Think several dozens to potentially 100+.
The guest OS will be some linux flavor so it should have no problem with a
large number of disks.

During my experimentation I quickly ran into the "No available PCI slots"
limit. I found https://libvirt.org/pci-hotplug.html explaining to me why
the limit is there. Now I could add a bunch of pcie-root-ports ahead of
time, but there is likely a limit to that as well. So before I go down some
crazy paths, I figured I would ask on here if there is a better plan than
adding a bunch of root ports for adding a large number of hotplugged disks?

Thanks,
Alexander