Some confusion about lsilogic controller

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Wed Feb 24 11:07:28 UTC 2021

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 09:11:03AM +0000, xingchaochao wrote:

> Hello,
> I have been confused by such a phenomenon recently.
> Libvirt is the master branch , and the VM is centos8.2(kernel is 4.18.0-193.el8.aarch64).
> When I hot-plug the scsi disk for a virtual machine without a virtio-scsi controller, libvirt will automatically generate an lsilogic controller for the scsi disk.

snip

> I am confused, why libvirt chooses to generate an lsilogic controller
> for the scsi disk when there is no scsi controller, instead of directly
> reporting an error and exiting the hot plug operation. After all, the
> scsi disk based on the lsilogic controller is not perceived inside
> the virtual machine, and lsilogic will remain in the XML file of the
> virtual machine.

libvirt has no knowledge of what devices the guest OS is able to
support. In this case RHEL8 doesn't support lsilogic, but libvirt
doesn't know this.

Generally a libvirt mgmt application will not rely on the defaults
for choosing devices, and instead use libosinfo to figure out
what devices are likely to be supported and explicitly use those.