[RFC] exposing 'nodedev assigned to domain' info to users

Erik Skultety eskultet at redhat.com
Wed Jan 6 11:13:26 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jan 06, 2021 at 08:00:52AM -0300, Daniel Henrique Barboza wrote:

> [...]
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This is something I've been giving a thought after working in Gitlab issue
> > > #72 and decided to run through the ML before hitting the code.
> > >
> > > We don't have an easy way to retrieve the domain that is using an specific
> > > hostdev.  Let's say that I want to know which domain is using the PCI card
> > > pci_0000_01_00_2. 'nodedev-dumpxml' will return the hardware/driver capabilities
> > > of the device, such as IOMMU group, driver and so on, but will not inform
> > > which domain is using the hostdev, if any. 'nodedev-list' will simply list
> > > all nodedev names known to Libvirt, without outputting any other information.
> > >
> > > IIUC, the only existing way I can reliably tell whether a hostdev is being
> > > used by domain, aside from having to register the information by myself
> > > during domain definition of course, is via 'virsh dumpxml <domain>' each
> > > existing running domain and matching the nodedev name with the source.address
> > > element of the XML.
> > >
> > > When we consider SR-IOV devices that can have 28+ VFs each (and have lots of
> > > fun caveats, like Github #72 showed us), the capability of hot plug/unplug
> > > hostdevs freely, and lots of running domains, it is clear that we're putting a
> > > considerable pressure in the upper layers (OVirt, or a poor human admin) to
> > > keep track of the nodedevs each running domain is using. An info that we
> > > already have internally and can just expose it.
> > >
> > > I have a few ideas to make this happen:
> > >
> > > 1 - upgrade 'nodedev-list' to add an extra 'assigned to' column
> > >
> > > This is the more straightforward way of exposing the info. A simple 'nodedev-list'
> > > call can retrieve which domain is using which nodedev. To preserve the existing
> > > usage we can add an "--show-assigned-domains" option to control whether we
> > > will display this info.
> >
> > That would mean nodedev-list has to fetch XML for every running guest
> > and parse and extract it. That's not a scalable solution.
> >
> > > 2 - add an '<assigned_to>' element in nodedev XML definition
> > >
> > > I'm not a fan of exposing this in this particular XML because we would mix
> > > host/hw related attributes with domain info. But it would be easier to pull
> > > this off comparing to (1), so I'm mentioning it for the record.
> >
> > This is similar to what we do for  the nwfilter-binding and net-port XML
> > where we have an <owner> element present.
> >
> > The complication here is that right now we don't ever touch the nodedev
> > driver when doing host device assignment, and so don't especially want
> > to introduce a dependancy.
>
> One possible alternative would be a new API that operates on hostdevs instead
> of nodedevs. "hostdev-list" would list the devices assigned to any domain, as
> opposed to "nodedev-list" that lists all nodedevs of the host. I'm not sure if this
> differentiation between hostdev and nodedev (i.e. hostdev is a nodedev that is
> assigned to a domain) would be clear enough to users though. We would need to

Wasn't this about the connection to the nodedev though? E.g. with mdevs we only
have a UUID in the domain XML which doesn't tell you anything about the device
nor its parent and you also can't take the uuid and try finding the
corresponding nodedev entry for it (well, you can hack it so that you construct
the resulting nodedev name). Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the use case
though.

Erik