[RFC] exposing 'nodedev assigned to domain' info to users

Daniel Henrique Barboza danielhb413 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 17:40:15 UTC 2021

On 1/6/21 2:30 PM, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2021 at 02:24:35PM -0300, Daniel Henrique Barboza wrote:

[...]

>>> Wasn't this about the connection to the nodedev though? E.g. with mdevs we only
>>> have a UUID in the domain XML which doesn't tell you anything about the device
>>> nor its parent and you also can't take the uuid and try finding the
>>> corresponding nodedev entry for it (well, you can hack it so that you construct
>>> the resulting nodedev name). Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the use case
>>> though.
>>
>> This particular case I'm asking for comments is related to PCI hostdevs (namely,
>> SR-IOV virtual functions) that might get removed from the host, while being
>> assigned to a running domain. We don't support that (albeit I posted patches
>> that tries to alleviate the issue in Libvirt), and at the same time we don't
>> provide easy tools for the user to check whether a specific hostdev is
>> assigned to a domain. The user must query the running domains to find out.
>
> This isn't all that much different to other host resources that are given
> to guests. eg if pinning vCPUs 1:1 to pCPUs, the admin/mgmt app has to
> keep track of which pCPUs are used. If assuming host block devices to a
> guest, the admin/mgmt app has to keep track of block devices in use.
> If assigning NICs for dedicated guest use the admin/mgmt app has to keep
> track. etc, etc.
>
> Apps like oVirt, OpenStack, KubeVirt will all do this tracking themselves
> generally. This is especially important when they need to have this usage
> information kept on a separate host so that the schedular can use it
> when deciding which host to place a new guest on.
>
> So, I'm not entirely convinced libvirt needs has a critical need to do
> anything for PCI devices in this respect.

I agree that whether we implement this or not, this is a feature 'good to have'
at best, that just the average admin that has access to a SR-IOV card and
doesn't have OVirt like apps to manage the VMs will end up using. Not sure how
many ppl out there that fits this profile TBH.

Definitely nothing that warrants breaking thing to implement.

Thanks,

DHB