qmp-shell TUI (was: Re: Call for Google Summer of Code 2021 project ideas)

Daniel P. Berrangé berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jan 14 16:55:30 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 04:49:17PM +0000, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 03:22:41PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 04:02:56PM +0100, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> > > Am 14.01.2021 um 14:59 hat Daniel P. Berrangé geschrieben:

> > > I have an idea for the QMP command name: chardev-snapshot-sync!
> > >
> > > Finally we get backing file chains for chardevs! :-)

> > > I think the idea was to show the QMP traffic that libvirt produces for
> > > other management applications, not for the QMP shell. These APIs
> > > probably don't allow this?
> >
> > FWIW if you want to monitor what libvirt is sending/receiving we have
> > a script for that that uses our systemtap probe points:
> >
> >   https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/blob/master/examples/systemtap/qemu-monitor.stp
>
> Does that require root?

Yeah, systemtap generally requires root.

The same info is also written to the log files. For example:

  virt-admin daemon-log-filters "2:qemu_monitor_json"
  virt-admin daemon-lop-outputs "2:file:/var/log/libvirt/libvirtd.log"

nb, i'm using level '2' there to avoid enabling  debug logs, only
info level logs which is the level dynamic probes  log at.