failed to start vm after add vsock device

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Thu Jan 28 11:35:41 UTC 2021

On 1/28/21 12:08 PM, longguang.yue wrote:

> Michal, thanks.
>
> i have another question  which is related to kata-container.
>
> when there is only one  virtiofs-device , how does it do that   in guest there are 4 times of virtiofs-mounts that have same src and different targets.
>
> # in guest
> [root at kvm kata-containers]# docker exec efda32ca6a93 mount | grep kataShared
> kataShared on / type virtiofs (rw,relatime)
> kataShared on /etc/resolv.conf type virtiofs (rw,relatime)
> kataShared on /etc/hostname type virtiofs (rw,relatime)
> kataShared on /etc/hosts type virtiofs (rw,relatime)

I'm not sure how this is related to libvirt, but I'll try to answer
anyway. I believe these mount points are set up by the initrd in the
guest. And this confusion you are seeing is not related to virtiofs at
all. It's non-intuitive way of how 'mount' shows bind mounts. One can
bind mount a file. For instance:

   # touch /tmp/a /tmp/b
   # mount --bind /tmp/a /tmp/b
   # mount | grep /tmp/b
   tmpfs on /tmp/b type tmpfs
(rw,nosuid,nodev,seclabel,nr_inodes=409600,inode64)

As you can see, mount doesn't show /tmp/a as the source of the mount
point but the FS associated. And I believe this is what's happening.
kataShared is mount as root, but then those three files from /etc are
bind mounted and thus mount shows kataShared as their source. I agree
it's misleading (and I remember running into this same problem when
developing private namespaces for QEMU VMs - but that's another story).

Michal