How do we specify disk device names for non-Linux VMs in XML?

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Mon Jul 19 07:48:50 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 10:53:54 +0900, Motohiro Kawahito wrote:
> The XML parser (or verifier) in libvirt seems to support only Linux device
> names for a disk, such as hda, sda and vda.
> Can anyone let us know how libvirt supports disk device names for
> non-Linux VMs?
> We are developing a new hypervisor driver for a non-Linux VM, which uses a
> different device naming convention from Linux, something like 0A80. 0A81,
> 0A82.
> Thank you so much.

As noted in the previous thread you've started, the name used here
doesn't necessarily map 1:1 to guest device names.

As of such you can treat it as an opaque identifier with format
specified by libvirt.

In case you'd want to change the format libvirt accepts here, it has
quite a few places which need to be changed so I'd like to discourage
trying to do so.