Host attached usb device lost during a managedsave/start sequence

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Fri Mar 19 11:53:00 UTC 2021

Hi,

using libvirt 7.1.0, qemu-kvm 5.2.0 on a host with kernel 5.11.6 (otherwise
Leap 15.2), I noticed an issue within a managedsave/start sequence.

After resuming a w2k19 client, accessing a host attached usb device fails.
It is still attached, but the client doesn't recognize the device anymore.

Reattaching fails with:

$ virsh attach-device fs2k19 /work/libvirt/devices/fs2k19.xml
error: Failed to attach device from /work/libvirt/devices/fs2k19.xml
error: Angeforderte Operation ist nicht gültig: USB device 001:007 is in use
by driver QEMU, domain fs2k19

Manually detaching and reattaching it works fine:

$ virsh detach-device fs2k19 /work/libvirt/devices/fs2k19.xml
Device detached successfully

virsh attach-device fs2k19 /work/libvirt/devices/fs2k19.xml
Device attached successfully

Let me know, if you need more details on this.

Pete