Ways to deal with broken machine types

Igor Mammedov imammedo at redhat.com
Fri Mar 26 00:48:25 UTC 2021

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 17:40:36 +0000
Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> stable streams. This can get particularly expensive when there are
> multiple streams a distro is maintaining.
>
> *IF* the original N-1 qemu has a property that could be queried by
> the mgmt app to identify a machine type bug, then we could potentially
> apply a fixup automatically.
>
> eg query-machines command in QEMU version N could report against
> "pc-i440fx-5.0", that there was a regression fix that has to be
> applied if property "foo" had value "bar".
>
> Now, the mgmt app wants to migrate from QEMU N-2 or N-1 to QEMU N.
> It can query the value of "foo" on the source QEMU with qom-get.
> It now knows whether it has to override this property "foo" when
> spawning QEMU N on the target host.
>
> Of course this doesn't help us if neither N-1 or N-2 QEMU had a
> property that can be queried to identify the bug - ie if the
> property in question was newly introduced in QEMU N to fix the
> bug.
>
> > In my opinion both would lead to explosion of 'possibly needed' properties for each
> > change we introduce in hw/firmware(read ACPI) and very possibly a lot of conditional
> > branches in QEMU code. And I'm afraid it will become hard to maintain QEMU =>
> > more bugs in future.
> > Also it will lead to explosion of test matrix for downstreams who care about testing.
> >
> > If we proactively gate changes on properties, we can just update fixup lists in mgmt,
> > without need to update QEMU (aka Insite rules) at a cost of complexity on QMEU side.
> >
> > Alternatively we can be conservative in spawning new properties, that means creating
> > them only when issue is fixed and require users to update QEMU, so that fixups could
> > be applied to VM.
> >
> > Feel free to shoot the messenger down or suggest ways how we can deal with the problem.
>
> The best solution is of course to not have introduced the ABI change in
> the first place. We have lots of testing, but upstream at least, I don't
> think we have anything that is explicitly recording the ABI associated
> with each machine type and validating that it hasn't changed. We rely on
> the developers to follow the coding practices wrt setting machine type
> defaults for back compat, and while we're good, we inevitably screw up
> every now & then.
>
> Downstreams do have some of this ABI testing - several problems like the
> one we have there, have been identified when RHEL downstream QE did
> migration tests and found a change in RHEL machine types, which then
> was traced back to upstream.
>
> I feel like we need some standard tool which can be run inside a VM
> that dumps all the possible ABI relevant information about the virtual
> machine in a nice data format.
>
> We would have to run this for each machine type, and save the
> results to git immediately after release. Then for every change to
> master, we would have to run the test again for every historic
> machine type version and compare to the recorded ABI record.

Like Michael said we don't know that something is broken until it's
too late and this particular case it's not even broken (strictly speaking
change is correct) and is not even a part of ABI (it's ACPI code, i.e. firmware).

Problem is in the way virtio drivers enumerate devices, which makes the same
device appear as a new one. We can work around issue on hypervisor side so user
won't loose network connectivity or would be able to boot guest after QEMU upgrade.

We can suggest user re-installing their Windows (method that fixes almost all Win issues)
or to try to make it pain-less for user in these rare cases, by upgrading to
new QEMU (or fixed stable) which has workaround, so only the first few has to suffer.

(I think downstreams would even more benefit from this, there were similar problems
there before).

Yes, It surely will expand test matrix, but it should be limited to specific cases
we implemented fixups for.