Let's remove some deprecated stuff

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Tue May 4 13:59:44 UTC 2021

On Mon, May 03, 2021 at 13:21:47 -0500, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 4/29/21 4:59 AM, Markus Armbruster wrote:

[...]

> >     qemu-img backing file without format (since 5.1)
> >     ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
> >
> >     The use of ``qemu-img create``, ``qemu-img rebase``, or ``qemu-img
> >     convert`` to create or modify an image that depends on a backing file
> >     now recommends that an explicit backing format be provided.  This is
> >     for safety: if QEMU probes a different format than what you thought,
> >     the data presented to the guest will be corrupt; similarly, presenting
> >     a raw image to a guest allows a potential security exploit if a future
> >     probe sees a non-raw image based on guest writes.
> >
> >     To avoid the warning message, or even future refusal to create an
> >     unsafe image, you must pass ``-o backing_fmt=`` (or the shorthand
> >     ``-F`` during create) to specify the intended backing format.  You may
> >     use ``qemu-img rebase -u`` to retroactively add a backing format to an
> >     existing image.  However, be aware that there are already potential
> >     security risks to blindly using ``qemu-img info`` to probe the format
> >     of an untrusted backing image, when deciding what format to add into
> >     an existing image.
>
> I'm not sure how widely used these were, but I'm game for writing a
> patch to drop them.  I'm fairly certain libvirt is not using them.

This is certainly seeing some upstream "use" from random scripts and
possibly also libguestfs.

There are few limited scenarios when probing format is still safe if you
are not 100% sure what the original format of the image was.

I'm afraid that removing this will (at least when used with libvirt)
remove the potential detection of the unsafe scenarios and prompt people
to modify their code to do plainly:

1) probe format of backing file
2) use it in the new overlay without considering the implications

This is IMO less-safe because libvirt will consider the backing chain
without questioning security.

> > Kevin Wolf:
> >
> >     ``nbd-server-add`` and ``nbd-server-remove`` (since 5.2)
> >     ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
> >
> >     Use the more generic commands ``block-export-add`` and ``block-export-del``
> >     instead.  As part of this deprecation, where ``nbd-server-add`` used a
> >     single ``bitmap``, the new ``block-export-add`` uses a list of ``bitmaps``.
>
> Peter, is libvirt good for this one to go?

Yes, libvirt added support for block-export-add usage in favor of
nbd-server-add in:

https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/commit/8c67e389d6367af2ef6dbe2f578c585e2150558d
6.8.0-379-g8c67e389d6

It was briefly disabled since qemu decided to change the design of
block-export-add-before it was really released since the change happened
around a libvirt release:

https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/commit/b87cfc957f57c1d9f7e5bf828ee4b23972085991
v6.9.0-rc1-7-gb87cfc957f

and then re-enabled in