[RFC 00/18] vfio: Adopt iommufd

Tian, Kevin kevin.tian at intel.com
Tue Apr 26 08:37:41 UTC 2022

Based on current plan there is probably a transition window between the
point where the first vfio device type (vfio-pci) gaining iommufd support
and the point where all vfio types supporting iommufd. Libvirt can figure
out which one to use iommufd by checking the presence of
/dev/vfio/devices/vfioX. But what would be the resource limit policy
in Libvirt in such transition window when both type1 and iommufd might
be used? Or do we just expect Libvirt to support iommufd only after the
transition window ends to avoid handling such mess?

> > > deterministically which backed is being used, which this proposal seems
> > > to provide, while at the same time bringing us more in line with fd
> > > passing.  Thoughts?  Thanks,
> >
> > Yep, I agree that libvirt needs to have more direct control over this.
> > This is also even more important if there are notable feature differences
> > in the 2 backends.
> >
> > I wonder if anyone has considered an even more distinct impl, whereby
> > we have a completely different device type on the backend, eg
> >
> >   -device vfio-iommu-
> pci[,host=DDDD:BB:DD.f][,sysfsdev=/sys/path/to/device][,fd=#][,iommufd=f
> oo]
> >
> > If a vendor wants to fully remove the legacy impl, they can then use the
> > Kconfig mechanism to disable the build of the legacy impl device, while
> > keeping the iommu impl (or vica-verca if the new iommu impl isn't
> considered
> > reliable enough for them to support yet).
> >
> > Libvirt would use
> >
> >    -object iommu,id=iommu0,fd=NNN
> >    -device vfio-iommu-pci,fd=MMM,iommu=iommu0
> >
> > Non-libvirt would use a simpler
> >
> >    -device vfio-iommu-pci,host=0000:03:22.1
> >
> > with QEMU auto-creating a 'iommu' object in the background.
> >
> > This would fit into libvirt's existing modelling better. We currently have
> > a concept of a PCI assignment backend, which previously supported the
> > legacy PCI assignment, vs the VFIO PCI assignment. This new iommu impl
> > feels like a 3rd PCI assignment approach, and so fits with how we modelled
> > it as a different device type in the past.
>
> I don't think we want to conflate "iommu" and "iommufd", we're creating
> an object that interfaces into the iommufd uAPI, not an iommu itself.
> Likewise "vfio-iommu-pci" is just confusing, there was an iommu
> interface previously, it's just a different implementation now and as
> far as the VM interface to the device, it's identical.  Note that a
> "vfio-iommufd-pci" device multiplies the matrix of every vfio device
> for a rather subtle implementation detail.
>
> My expectation would be that libvirt uses:
>
>  -object iommufd,id=iommufd0,fd=NNN
>  -device vfio-pci,fd=MMM,iommufd=iommufd0
>
> Whereas simple QEMU command line would be:
>
>  -object iommufd,id=iommufd0
>  -device vfio-pci,iommufd=iommufd0,host=0000:02:00.0
>
> The iommufd object would open /dev/iommufd itself.  Creating an
> implicit iommufd object is someone problematic because one of the
> things I forgot to highlight in my previous description is that the
> iommufd object is meant to be shared across not only various vfio
> devices (platform, ccw, ap, nvme, etc), but also across subsystems, ex.
> vdpa.

Out of curiosity - in concept one iommufd is sufficient to support all
ioas requirements across subsystems while having multiple iommufd's
instead lose the benefit of centralized accounting. The latter will also
cause some trouble when we start virtualizing ENQCMD which requires
VM-wide PASID virtualization thus further needs to share that
information across iommufd's. Not unsolvable but really no gain by
adding such complexity. So I'm curious whether Qemu provide
a way to restrict that certain object type can only have one instance
to discourage such multi-iommufd attempt?