libvirtd: failed to connect to socket after installation

Carlos Bilbao carlos.bilbao at amd.com
Tue Aug 30 19:13:36 UTC 2022

Hello,

I am trying to test some changes made to libvirt. I tried compiling and
installing, following the available documentation, with:

ninja -C build clean
meson build --prefix=$HOME/usr
ninja -C build -Dsystem=true
sudo ninja -C build install

After doing this, I try to run virt-install and get the following error on
the active libvirtd daemon:

Failed to connect socket to '/var/local/run/libvirt/virtqemud-sock': No
such file or directory

Indeed, that file does not exist:

$ ls /var/local/run/libvirt/
common  hostdevmgr  lockd  lxc  network  nwfilter nwfilter-binding
secrets  storage

virt-install was working fine before started changing libvirt's source code.
I'm working with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, virsh v8.7.0.

I would appreciate any directions on how to fix this/successfully install
libvirt.

Thanks in advance.

Carlos