libvirtd: failed to connect to socket after installation

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Tue Aug 30 20:34:19 UTC 2022

On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 14:13:36 -0500, Carlos Bilbao wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to test some changes made to libvirt. I tried compiling and
> installing, following the available documentation, with:
>
> ninja -C build clean
> meson build --prefix=$HOME/usr
> ninja -C build -Dsystem=true

note that the '-Dsystem=true' argument is supposed to be used with
'meson' as it sets up configure time options. This way it probably did
nothing.

> sudo ninja -C build install
>
> After doing this, I try to run virt-install and get the following error on
> the active libvirtd daemon:
>
> Failed to connect socket to '/var/local/run/libvirt/virtqemud-sock': No
> such file or directory
>
> Indeed, that file does not exist:
>
> $ ls /var/local/run/libvirt/
> common  hostdevmgr  lockd  lxc  network  nwfilter nwfilter-binding  secrets
> storage

So the directory really looks like libvirtd/virtqemud or any other of
the libvirt daemons never ran.

How did you start the daemons, did they log something?

> virt-install was working fine before started changing libvirt's source code.
> I'm working with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, virsh v8.7.0.

Generally the most straightforward way is to build distribution packages
from the tree and install them directly in your system because then you
avoid issues such as possibly having two libvirtd instances running and
such.