GSoC 2022 CI project idea proposal

Erik Skultety eskultet at redhat.com
Tue Feb 22 16:04:02 UTC 2022

So, we're offloading as much CI configuration/workflow stuff to lcitool
as possible. We can generate config files, install/update machines
(local or remote), dump Dockerfiles...we can't build and run those containers
locally. Instead, we have a CI helper script in libvirt repo which essentially
just wraps a Makefile which pulls a gitlab container for you and:
    - gives you shell, or
    - runs the build and tests

I'm not sure how many people actually know we have that helper script let alone
use it. I've been playing with the idea that we could integrate what's done in
the Makefile to lcitool utilizing either the podman library [1] or the docker
library [2]. Apart from consolidating all CI services-related efforts to
lcitool the other benefit would be that we could gain the ability to run and
debug in a project-specific container also in other libvirt projects not just
main libvirt.

So, I though this could be a nice project for GSoC. Ideas?

Unless there are arguments against this idea then I'd eventually add the idea
to our gitlab GSoC issue tracker.

[1] https://github.com/containers/podman-py
[2] https://docker-py.readthedocs.io/en/stable/

Erik