Some questions regarding firmware handling in the qemu driver

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Tue Jun 14 13:12:29 UTC 2022

  Hi,

> I think we need an ARM expert to explain the rules about SecureBoot
> on aarch64. Given SMM doesn't exist outside x86, it may be fine to
> just enable secureboot unconditionally on aarch64 and have it be
> genuinely secure. I simply don't know enough in this respect.

Unlikely.  The firmware needs some way to store state (i.e. uefi
variables) somewhere where the guest OS can't tamper with it.

On x86 SMM mode provides that.  Flash can be configured to be writable
in SMM mode only, so the guest OS can't change things directly but has
to route all update requests through the firmware.

The arm architecture has a concept called TrustZone which can as far I
know can provide simliar guarantees.  Checking upstream edk2 git log
finds me this...

  commit 6b46d77243e02d23ce922803998e01277fe9f399
  Author: Supreeth Venkatesh <supreeth.venkatesh at arm.com>
  Date:   Fri Jul 13 23:05:27 2018 +0800

    StandaloneMmPkg/Core: Implementation of Standalone MM Core Module.

    Management Mode (MM) is a generic term used to describe a secure
    execution environment provided by the CPU and related silicon that is
    entered when the CPU detects a MMI. For x86 systems, this can be
    implemented with System Management Mode (SMM). For ARM systems, this can
    be implemented with TrustZone (TZ).

... but not much beyond that.  So I don't think edk2 has support
implemented, and I'm also not sure where we stand with qemu.

I suspect it'll be quite a bit of work to get everything going.

take care,
  Gerd