[libvirt RFC] virFile: new VIR_FILE_WRAPPER_BIG_PIPE to improve performance

Andrea Righi andrea.righi at canonical.com
Mon Mar 21 07:55:55 UTC 2022

On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 02:34:29PM +0100, Claudio Fontana wrote:
> I have lots of questions here, and I tried to involve Jiri and Andrea Righi here, who a long time ago proposed a POSIX_FADV_NOREUSE implementation.
>
> 1) What is the reason iohelper was introduced?
>
> 2) Was Jiri's comment about the missing linux implementation of POSIX_FADV_NOREUSE?
>
> 3) if using O_DIRECT is the only reason for iohelper to exist (...?), would replacing it with posix_fadvise remove the need for iohelper?
>
> 4) What has stopped Andreas' or another POSIX_FADV_NOREUSE implementation in the kernel?

For what I remember (it was a long time ago sorry) I stopped to pursue
the POSIX_FADV_NOREUSE idea, because we thought that moving to a
memcg-based solution was a better and more flexible approach, assuming
memcg would have given some form of specific page cache control. As of
today I think we still don't have any specific page cache control
feature in memcg, so maybe we could reconsider the FADV_NOREUSE idea (or
something similar)?

Maybe even introduce a separate FADV_<something> flag if we don't want
to bind a specific implementation of this feature to a standard POSIX
flag (even if FADV_NOREUSE is still implemented as a no-op in the
kernel).

The thing that I liked about the fadvise approach is its simplicity from
an application perspective, because it's just a syscall and that's it,
without having to deal with any other subsystems (cgroups, sysfs, and
similar).

-Andrea