libvirt-guests configurability regression

Olaf Hering olaf at aepfle.de
Mon Nov 7 17:01:39 UTC 2022

Mon, 7 Nov 2022 14:17:00 +0100 Laszlo Ersek <lersek at redhat.com>:

> The (a) well-documented and (b) easily editable config file
> "/etc/sysconfig/libvirt-guests" is now gone.

Right, these admin-owned files are not installed anymore.
The runtime code still uses the files, in case they are created by the admin.

> The message on commit 8eb4461645c5 says,
>     Remove the sysconfig file and place the current desired default into
>     the service file.

Yes, and right in the next paragraph the commit messages states the files
are (still) recognized.

As of f8b6c7e5, libvirt-guests.sh initializes some internal defaults, then
it loads the admin-owned sysconfig file, in case it was created.

The documentation about this specific tool (libvirt-guests(1)) states what
values from  /etc/sysconfig/libvirt-guests will be recognized.

While browsing various user mailing lists in the past years I often saw
messages like "system was upgraded to new version, and as a result an
expected file somewhere in /etc does not exist anymore. What now?".
Apparently some folks expect files to be present before they can be edited.
In my experience it is always possible to create the required files and
fill them with the desired content, based on available documentation.

Olaf