libvirt-guests configurability regression

Andrea Bolognani abologna at redhat.com
Tue Nov 8 18:07:21 UTC 2022

On Tue, Nov 08, 2022 at 04:58:37PM +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:
> Tue, 8 Nov 2022 08:46:34 +0100 Laszlo Ersek <lersek at redhat.com>:
> > Can you at least include the previously shipped *documented* config file
> > as a template in a contrib or docs directory or something?
>
> This is up to the maintainers of libvirt.git to decide.
>
> If I were in charge, nothing would be installed into /etc.
> What needs to go there, in case it is required, is already reasonably well documented.

Laszlo,

I feel your frustration.

I don't think a revert to the previous situation is going to happen,
because there are some real advantages resulting from not shipping
admin-owned files in our packages.

That said, the current situation is clearly not ideal either, so
let's try to find a way to make things at least a bit better :)

I think a reasonable compromise would be to add

  Environment=URIS="default"
  Environment=ON_BOOT="start"

to libvirt-guests.service. Maybe instead of having the extended
documentation that was originally in the defaults file we could have
a shorter, one-line version? Maybe a pointer to the manual page?

Whatever comments we put there will show up when running 'systemctl
edit libvirt-guests', which makes them fairly discoverable IMO.
That's really the key point, because even today you can change the
behavior both with a defaults file and a systemd unit override.

What do you think? Would that work for you?