libvirt-guests configurability regression

Laszlo Ersek lersek at redhat.com
Wed Nov 9 06:24:08 UTC 2022

On 11/08/22 18:36, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2022 at 08:46:34AM +0100, Laszlo Ersek wrote:

>>> Right, these admin-owned files are not installed anymore.
>>> The runtime code still uses the files, in case they are created by the admin.

>>> Yes, and right in the next paragraph the commit messages states the files
>>> are (still) recognized.
>>>
>>> As of f8b6c7e5, libvirt-guests.sh initializes some internal defaults, then
>>> it loads the admin-owned sysconfig file, in case it was created.
>>>
>>> The documentation about this specific tool (libvirt-guests(1)) states what
>>> values from  /etc/sysconfig/libvirt-guests will be recognized.
>>>

>>> While browsing various user mailing lists in the past years I often saw
>>> messages like "system was upgraded to new version, and as a result an
>>> expected file somewhere in /etc does not exist anymore. What now?".
>>> Apparently some folks expect files to be present before they can be edited.
>>> In my experience it is always possible to create the required files and
>>> fill them with the desired content, based on available documentation.
>>
>> It's obviously possible; the question is how comfortable it is, how much
>> time the user now needs to spend on something that used to be much
>> easier / faster before.
>>
>> Can you at least include the previously shipped *documented* config file
>> as a template in a contrib or docs directory or something?
>
> That would just be duplicating information already provideed in the
> manpage, where there is much more detailed description, so I don't
> think that would be useful.

The following files:

/etc/libvirt/libvirt-admin.conf
/etc/libvirt/libvirt.conf
/etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf
/etc/libvirt/libxl.conf
/etc/libvirt/libxl-lockd.conf
/etc/libvirt/lxc.conf
/etc/libvirt/qemu.conf
/etc/libvirt/qemu-lockd.conf
/etc/libvirt/virtinterfaced.conf
/etc/libvirt/virtlockd.conf
/etc/libvirt/virtlogd.conf
/etc/libvirt/virtlxcd.conf
/etc/libvirt/virtnetworkd.conf
/etc/libvirt/virtnodedevd.conf
/etc/libvirt/virtnwfilterd.conf
/etc/libvirt/virtproxyd.conf
/etc/libvirt/virtqemud.conf
/etc/libvirt/virtsecretd.conf
/etc/libvirt/virtstoraged.conf
/etc/libvirt/virtvboxd.conf
/etc/libvirt/virtxend.conf

all exist out of the box too, and follow the style that I'm requesting
(= they are heavily documented in-line).

Laszlo