Add option to skip cpu feature and model verification in libvirt and rely on qemu 'enforce' option

Jiri Denemark jdenemar at redhat.com
Wed Nov 23 11:51:39 UTC 2022

On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 11:41:03 +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 12:29:24PM +0100, Jiri Denemark wrote:

> > > I really don't think we should allow this, especially not for something
> > > which is clearly intended to be used for production deployment. Our
> > > hypervisor CLI passthrough is there to allow for short term workarounds
> > > for bugs, or to experiment with a feature before it is mapped into
> > > libvirt in a supported manner.
> > >
> > > If there are aspects related to QEMU configuration thiat are not in
> > > libvirt yet, we need to address those gaps, not provide yet another
> > > way to bypass libvirt mapping.
> >
> > Indeed, this was definitely meant as a short term workaround for stuff
> > we don't have support for yet, for testing or experimental purposes. The
> > supported approach is for implement the missing parts in libvirt (and
> > QEMU) as soon as possible. I don't see why would a properly documented
> > support for experiments with -cpu would be an issue.
>
> Why can't it just use the exsting QEMU passthrough syntax we have.
> I don't think we should be adding specifial support just for CPUs

That would be nice, but the QEMU passthrough syntax cannot be used for
changing options that libvirt already passes to QEMU. So using it would
likely result in two separate -cpu options on QEMU command line. And it
would not rule out the CPU verification code in libvirt. Remember, we
add a default -cpu model in case there's none configured in the XML.

Jirka