[RFC 0/1] Check for pid re-use before killing domain process

manish.mishra manish.mishra at nutanix.com
Tue Oct 11 16:41:29 UTC 2022

Thanks for review Jonathon, Daniel

On 11/10/22 9:56 pm, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2022 at 11:20:00AM -0500, Jonathon Jongsma wrote:
>> I believe that pidfd syscalls were introduced in kernel 5.2. Judging by our
>> CI build setup, the oldest distrubution that we support is Alma Linux 8,
>> which still has kernel version 4.18.

I did not know that, will it okay to put it in some condional check. Pidfd

is used anyway to remove a very small window race, more important one

is start time comparison. As these kind of issues can be very easily

reproducible if domain process dies when libvirt is dead and by time

libvirt comes pid is re-used. So atleast start time checking reduce race

window even for older kernel.

> We need to support FreeBSD / macOS for the QEMU driver too, which becomes
> the same problem.

Sorry Daniel i could not understand much of this, can you please give some

more detail.

> With regards,
> Daniel

Thanks