questions regarding modular daemons

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at suse.com
Thu Sep 29 22:22:50 UTC 2022

Hi All,

I've procrastinated long enough and finally decided to switch to modular daemons
in openSUSE Factory libvirt package. For the most part, the Factory spec file
mimics the upstream one. I enabled with_modular_daemons and would like to
confirm the results of my testing.

When upgrading an existing installation running the monolithic daemon, the
monolithic daemon is still enabled after the upgrade. I suppose this behavior is
expected, and fine IMO.

However, when installing the "modularized" packages on a system with no prior
installation, the monolithic daemon is still installed and potentially enabled
in posttrans. Having both the monolithic and modular daemons installed, along
with all associated systemd socket and service files, is a bit confusing to
users IMO. E.g. should one enable libvirtd sockets, virtqemud sockets, both?

Is the intention, over time, to remove the monolithic daemon? Perhaps we could
start by isolating the monolithic daemon in the libvirt-daemon subpackage and
moving the other daemons (virtproxyd, virtlogd, virtlockd, etc) to a new
subpackage? The modular daemons could then drop the libvirt-daemon dependency,
allowing installation without the monolithic daemon.

TIA for your comments.

Regards,
Jim