Improve default machine type selection

Peter Krempa pkrempa at redhat.com
Fri Apr 14 13:33:21 UTC 2023

On Fri, Apr 14, 2023 at 06:26:02 -0700, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2023 at 08:23:25AM -0600, Jim Fehlig wrote:

> > > Yeah, the spike machine on RISC-V is unusable in basically the same
> > > ways that the integratorcp machine is on Arm. Let's just change the
> > > default to virt on all of those then :)
> >
> > Thanks for the confirmation. I should have time to work on this over the
> > next days. I haven't looked in detail yet, but I get the feeling there is
> > more to it than changing a few variables :-). Beyond code, do you have a
> > mental checklist of the items that will need adjusted? E.g. docs, examples,
> > tests, etc?
>
> I might be excessively optimistic, but I truly believe it could be as
> simple as changing a couple of lines in the QEMU driver :)
>
> I don't think we rely on default machine types anywhere in the test
> suite, and even if we were only minor touch-ups would probably be
> necessary.

The test suite does use/validate/assign machine types, but I've already
removed the all of the fake-machine type infrastructure for RISC-V so
you only get to use the qemuCapabilities object populated from what we
have in tests/qemucapabilitiesdata/.

There doesn't seem to be any qemuxml2argv test case referencing 'spike'
so obviously the default machine is not covered by tests. That also
means that the test suite will not break :)