[RFC] Adding timestamp to guest's serial console log

Shaleen Bathla shaleen.bathla at oracle.com
Tue Aug 29 07:04:22 UTC 2023

ping

-----Original Message-----
From: Shaleen Bathla <shaleen.bathla at oracle.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2023 2:44 PM
To: libvir-list at redhat.com
Subject: [RFC] Adding timestamp to guest's serial console log

Hi,

Need some comments regarding the following feature :
Addition of timestamp support for serial console logs of a guest.

We can implement it as a configurable attribute in xml.
For example :
<serial type='pty'>
  <log file='$PATH/$GUESTNAME-serial0.log' append='on' timestamp="on/off"/>
  <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
    <model name='isa-serial'/>
  </target>
</serial>

We can add a timestamp after every '\n' character received from qemu.
Can I have some comments regarding this change like what I should keep
in mind while implementing, whether it is a welcome addition or not,
issues I might face, any qemu changes required.

Thanks and Regards,
Shaleen Bathla