Improve default machine type selection

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at suse.com
Mon Mar 13 20:25:01 UTC 2023

If an explicit machine type is not specified in the VM config, the qemu driver
will select the first machine type in the list of machine types for the
specified accelerator. See virQEMUCapsGetPreferredMachine

https://gitlab.com/libvirt/libvirt/-/blob/master/src/qemu/qemu_capabilities.c#L6133

On my test machines, this works reasonably well for x86_64 where the first
machine type is pc-i440fx-7.1. But for aarch64, the first machine is
integratorcp, which is not very useful with maxCpus=1 and other limitations.
Would it be possible to select a "better" default machine type? E.g. 'pc' for
x86_64, 'virt' for aarch64, etc. I'm happy to work on this if folks deem it's a
reasonable improvement. It would benefit tools like the libvirt terraform
provider, which prefer to use something more generic like <type>hvm</type>.

Regards,
Jim